Glossary: F-J

Fanlight: A half-circle window over a door or window with radiating bars.

Fast Cure Urethane: A faster hardening adhesive. The term "fast" is relative to the surrounding temperature and humidity. Curing time is faster than for normal adhesives.

Fastener: An item that attaches one item to another such as a screw, bolt or rivet.

Fatigue Failure: The failure of a material due to rapid cyclic deformation.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS): A series of standards required of the automobile manufacturers by the Federal Government. All new vehicle models must meet these standards before they are allowed to be sold in the United States.

Fenestration: Originally, an architectural term for the arrangement of windows, doors and other glazed areas in a wall. Has evolved to become a standard industry term for windows, doors, skylights and other glazed building openings. From the Latin word fenestra, meaning window.

Fiber Paddle: A tool with a tapered end made of plastic or fiberglass. It is used to loosen the bond between and to install a windshield into a gasket. It is one of the most commonly-used tools in gasket installations because it does not scratch paint and glass. Also called a fiber stick, bone, spoon and slip stick.

Figured Glass: See Pattern Glass.

Filler Strip: A strip inserted into a rubber gasket after the glass is installed, forcing the gasket against the glass to form a seal and improve the grip. It is sometimes called locking a bead or spline.

Filler: Finely ground material added to a sealant or adhesive to change or improve certain properties.

Finger-Joint: A toothed joint used to combine two pieces of wood end-to-end.

Fire Windows: Fire endurance-rated glazing material.

Fire-Rated: A label given to a material after it has passed specific fire

Fixed Lite: Non-venting or non-operable window.

Fixed Panel: Non-operable door usually combined with operable door unit.

Flammable: A volatile liquid or gas which has a flash point of 100°F or 38°C. "Flammable" is synonymous with "inflammable."

Flare-Jaw Pliers: Glass pliers that have identical upper and lower jaws, but which widen along their length.

Flash Point: Minimum temperature at which a liquid gives off a vapor in sufficient concentration to ignite when heated.

Flashing: A strip of material that diverts water away from a window, door or skylight.

Flexing: A method of gaining access to a tight break by flexing the glass back and forth, either with a tool or by hand.

Float Glass Process: A commercial method of manufacturing glass in which molten glass is fed into a float bath of molten tin.

Float glass: Glass produced by a process in which the ribbon is floated across a bath of molten tin. The vast majority of flat glass is now produced using this method. The terms "plate" glass and "sheet" glass refer to older manufacturing methods still in limited use.

Floating Crack: Any crack on the windshield that does not extend to an edge. See Crack.

Flowering: A flower-petal effect around the outer edge of a repair. This is caused by the laminate detaching from the outer layer of glass.

Flush door: Door produced using two skins or faces separated by a stile-and-rail frame construction at the perimeter. Flush doors may be produced with a hollow core or solid core.

Fogging: A deposit or film left on an interior surface of a sealed insulating glass unit due to extreme conditions or failed seals.

French door: Generally refers to a pair of hinged doors that open from the middle. Also incorporates wider stile-and-rail components around the glass than typical glazed doors.
Friction-weld: A process that uses high-speed vibrations to join materials together.

Frit: The painted band around the perimeter of auto glass parts.

Full Strip Installation: An installation method whereby the technician removes the existing bed/bead of adhesive from the vehicle frame. Approximately 1-2 mm of old adhesive remains. The technician applies new/fresh adhesive on top, then sets the glass into the fresh adhesive.

Fusion-weld: A term for a type of corner construction, used with vinyl and other types of windows and doors, in which a small amount of material on the ends of two pieces are melted or softened, then pushed together to form a single piece. This also is referred to simply as a welded corner.

Garnish moldings: The interior decorative moldings around the perimeter of glass parts.

Gasket: A seal, usually of rubber, that holds a piece of auto glass to the vehicle body. There are various sizes and shapes of glass-part gaskets, depending on vehicle design.

General Conditions: The main provisions or qualifications to be followed, usually standardized, set forth between two parties in a contract.

Glass Blowing: The art of shaping a mass of glass that has been softened by heat by blowing air into it through a tube.

Glazing Compounds: A soft dough-like material used for filling and sealing the space between a pane of glass and its surrounding frame.

Glazing Stop: A component of the sash or door panel that holds the glass in place.

Glazing: Glass (and other materials) in a window or door. Also, the act or process of installing glass in a frame.

Glider: A window with a movable sash that slides horizontally. Also referred to as a horizontal sliding window.

Glycerin: A lubricant used to preserve and maintain rubber.

Green Building: A movement in architectural and building circles aimed at creating structures that are occupant and environmentally friendly. Criteria such as sustainability, energy efficiency and healthfulness are considered.

Green Strength: A term used by some adhesive manufacturers to describe initial strength of an adhesive.

Grille: A term referring to window pane dividers or muntins. It may be a type of assembly fitted to the interior of the window or door unit that can be detached for cleaning. Also can be fitted inside the sealed insulating glass unit, when it also is referred to as a grid.

Grit: The amount of tiny abrasive material contained within a given area of an abrasive material.

Grommet: A ring or eyelet. In electricity, an insulated washer of rubber or plastic inserted in a hole in a metal part to prevent grounding of a wire passing through the hole.

Gun-Grade (gunnable sealant): Sealant that is meant to be applied with a caulking gun.

Half Moon: Damage to a windshield that has a half-circle separation around the impact point. It is similar to a bull's eye.

Hand Seamer: A hand tool used to seam the edge of glass and plastic.

Hard-Coat Glass: A glass product that is coated during the manufacturing process at the molten glass stage. Also known as a pyrolytic coating, this type of coating offers a surface that is generally as durable as an ordinary glass surface, and therefore requires no special handling and does not need to be used in an insulating glass unit. The other type of glass coating is a sputter-coat, which is applied in a secondary process. Sometimes referred to as a soft-coat, these types of coatings generally require some additional care in handling and fabrication and must be used within an insulating glass unit.

Hazardous Materials: Materials deemed to be of danger or risk to humans, animals or the environment.

HAZCOM: Hazardous Communications, a document required by OSHA that contains a company's policies and procedures and procedures for handling and disposing of hazardous materials.

Head: Main horizontal frame member at the top of a window or door.

Header: Horizontal framing member placed over the rough opening of a window or door to prevent the weight of a wall or roof from resting on the frame. Also known as a lintel.

Headliner: The fabric which lines the roof of a vehicle's passenger compartment.

Heat Gain: The transfer of heat from outside to inside by means of conduction, convection and radiation through all surfaces of a house.

Heat Loss: The transfer of heat from inside to outside by means of conduction, convection, and radiation through all surfaces of a house.

Heat Strengthened Glass: Similar to tempered glass, it is made by heating annealed glass uniformly and then culling it more slowly than tempered glass.

Heated Urethane: A type of adhesive that is heated to a prescribed temperature before application. The heat "pre-cures" the adhesive for faster setting.

Hollow-Core Door: Flush door constructed with two skins or door faces separated by stiles and rails at the perimeter. Generally, a honeycomb-type support is used inside the door between the two faces.

Hopper: Window with sash that swings inward from the top.

Hone Angle: An important characteristic of a cutting wheel that determines the sharpness of the wheel.

Hook Tool: A tool designed for use in installing a glass part into a gasket. Sometimes known as a cotter pin puller.

Horizontal Slider: A window with a movable sash that slides horizontally. Also referred to as a gliding window.

Horizontal Tempering: The tempering process where the glass travels through the oven in a horizontal plain.

Hot Melt Butyl: An insulating glass edge sealant used during manufacturing.

Idler guide: Device used to secure moveable windows.

Idler Guides: Devices used to secure rollable windows.

IG Units: Common name for insulating glass units.

Impact Point: Actual location on the glass that was struck by an object—usually a stone—resulting in damage. Typically a small piece of glass is missing.

Impact: This is the most common break. It occurs when an object hits the windshield.

Impact-Resistant: Term used to describe window and door products that have passed established tests for resistance to windborne debris. Such products are typically used in coastal areas that are prone to hurricanes.

Infrared: Part of the light spectrum; infrared rays that cause heat.
Insulating glass (IG): Two or more lites of glass with a hermetically sealed airspace between the lites. The sealed space may contain air or be filled with an inert gas, such as argon.

Integrated sash: A sash unit in which the insulating glass spacer profiles are integrated into the sash profiles. Separate IG construction is eliminated as the two lites of glass are applied and sealed directly to the sash, creating one assembly.

Jalousie: Window made up of horizontally mounted glass louvers or slats that abutt each other tightly when closed and rotate outward when cranked open.

Jamb depth: Width of a window or door from the interior to the exterior of the frame.

Jamb: Main vertical members forming the sides of a window or door frame.

Jambliner: The track installed inside the jambs of a double-hung window, on which the window sash slide.

J-Channel: Installed or built-in to the side of a window or door, this channel is designed to accommodate the ends of siding pieces to provide a finished appearance.

Joint Design: The design of a void to be filled with sealants to prevent air or water leakage.

Joint: The opening between component parts.